The Latest News from OACS Ireland
OACS Ireland & Epilepsy Ireland on our Campaign for an Independent Inquiry (Epilim) Sodium Valproate in Ireland
Today marks one week since the publication of the ‘First Do No Harm’ report in the UK. In the wake of the report and it’s findings, OACS Ireland alongside our colleagues in Epilepsy Ireland called for an independent inquiry to…More . . .
-New Government face demands for Independent Inquiry from families impacted by Sodium Valproate (Epilim) in Ireland -Independent Inquiry in UK recommends State Apology for victims-
The newly formed coalition Government must now commission an independent inquiry into the historical licencing and use of a common epilepsy drug according to patient groups, OACS Ireland and Epilepsy Ireland. Sodium Valproate (Epilim) has been licenced in Ireland…More . . .
#Firstdonhoharm Report – Key Recommendations The outcome of a two year inquiry in the UK which investigated how the British Healthcare authorities responded to reports of patient concerns regarding the use of sodium valproate (epilim) in pregnancy to which OACS…More . . .
From the end of 2019 to the beginning of 2020, Epilepsy Ireland ran a survey aimed at measuring the effectiveness of measures introduced in 2018 on the prescribing and dispensing of Sodium Valproate (Epilim). Epilepsy Ireland have now released the…More . . .
The UK MHRA Regulatory Guidance on the Epilim – Valproate Pregnancy Prevention Program (PREVENT) Temporary advice for management during coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. OACS Ireland welcomes the UK regulators the MHRA guidance for specialists for initiation of valproate in female patients…More . . .
The May Edition of the HPRA Drug Safety Newsletter which is a dedicated issue on serious teratogenic risks of Epilim▼- (Valproate) containing medicines. We like to welcome the HPRA’s decision to issue a reminder in the form of…More . . .
Downloads & Resources
Links to Website Resources
- OACS Facebook Group
- OACS YouTube Channel
- OACS UK Charity
- Epilepsy Ireland
- Irish Epilepsy and Pregnancy Register
- Irish Family Planning Association
- Birth Control (HSE Website)
- Valproate (Epilim) Patient Booklet (HPRA)
- EMA – Information & reviews on Valproate
- Valproate Information(HSE Website)
- Meeting highlights from PRAC
- OACS Ireland Leaflet
- National Conference on the Consequences of Sodium Valproate
- Joint Committee on Health Report on Foetal Anti-Convulsant Syndrome
- Valproate (Epilim) is a medicine licensed in Ireland to treat epilepsy and bipolar disorder
- 2019 Neurology Referral Specialist
- HSE Report on prenatal exposure
- 2018 Sodium Valproate who knew what and when
- 2019 Videos from the National Conference on Sodium Valproate
- 2018 FACS Forum welcomes HSE’s plans to contact patients directly regarding Sodium Valproate
- 2019 Study identifies the risk of malformations associated with prenatal exposure to 10 epilepsy drugs
Videos / Media
OACS Ireland: The Story So Far
Public Hearing on Valproate
Epilim (Sodium Valproate): For Patients*
Epilim (Sodium Valproate): For Hospital Doctors*
Epilim (Sodium Valproate): For Neurologists & Psychiatrists*
Epilim (Sodium Valproate): For GPs*
*The Medication Safety Minute Team in conjunction with Dr Colin Doherty, Epileptologist in St. James’s Hospital (SJH), have produced a series of 4 videos to highlight the risks associated with sodium valproate medicines if taken during pregnancy. Each of the videos highlights key points in relation to the management of the issue from a different perspective − that of the patient, the hospital doctor, the specialist (neurologist or psychiatrist), and the GP, respectively. These videos were released during National Epilepsy Week which aims to raise awareness Epilim (Sodium Valproate) in pregnancy.