The Latest News from OACS Ireland
Reader response: Unintended pregnancy, prenatal care, new-born outcomes, and breastfeeding in women with epilepsy
Alain Braillon, Senior Consultant, University Hospital. 80000 Amiens. (Amiens, France) Susan Bewley, Pr., King’s College (London, UK) Published August 19, 2019 Pennell and Meador rightly expressed concern about reducing birth defects in women with epilepsy with their editorial endorsing the EURAP registry (a prospective registry of…More . . .
As you may be aware OACS Ireland attended the 1st National Conference on The Consequences of Sodium Valproate in Trinity College Dublin on March 22nd 2019. This event was organised by the Health Service Executive, Epilepsy Ireland, OACS Ireland, Trinity…More . . .
For patients & families, healthcare professionals and policy makers Organised by the Health Service Executive, Epilepsy Ireland, OACS Ireland, Trinity College Dublin and the FACS Forum Friday March 22nd 2019 – 9.30am – 5pm Register: https://www.eventbrite.ie/ More Info: https://www.epilepsy.ie/content/national-conference-consequences-sodium-valproate-epilim-50-years Stanley…More . . .
UK Independent Medicines and Medical Devices Safety Review About the UK Independent Medicines and Medical Devices Safety Review which is Chaired by Baroness Julia Cumberlege CBE DL. The Review was announced in February 2018 by the Secretary of State for…More . . .
Yesterday (September 26th), Karen Keely of the FACS Forum Ireland addressed the EMA’s public hearing on valproate in London. The hearing was investigating whether 2014 European-wide measures to restrict the use of valproate in girls and women of childbearing potential…More . . .
Downloads & Resources
Links to Website Resources
- OACS Facebook Group
- OACS YouTube Channel
- OACS UK Charity
- Epilepsy Ireland
- Irish Epilepsy and Pregnancy Register
- Irish Family Planning Association
- Birth Control (HSE Website)
- Valproate (Epilim) Patient Booklet (HPRA)
- EMA – Information & reviews on Valproate
- Valproate Information(HSE Website)
- Meeting highlights from PRAC
- OACS Ireland Leaflet
- National Conference on the Consequences of Sodium Valproate
- Joint Committee on Health Report on Foetal Anti-Convulsant Syndrome
- Valproate (Epilim) is a medicine licensed in Ireland to treat epilepsy and bipolar disorder
- 2019 Neurology Referral Specialist
- HSE Report on prenatal exposure
- 2018 Sodium Valproate who knew what and when
- 2019 Videos from the National Conference on Sodium Valproate
- 2018 FACS Forum welcomes HSE’s plans to contact patients directly regarding Sodium Valproate
- 2019 Study identifies the risk of malformations associated with prenatal exposure to 10 epilepsy drugs
Videos / Media
OACS Ireland: The Story So Far
Public Hearing on Valproate
Epilim (Sodium Valproate): For Patients*
Epilim (Sodium Valproate): For Hospital Doctors*
Epilim (Sodium Valproate): For Neurologists & Psychiatrists*
Epilim (Sodium Valproate): For GPs*
*The Medication Safety Minute Team in conjunction with Dr Colin Doherty, Epileptologist in St. James’s Hospital (SJH), have produced a series of 4 videos to highlight the risks associated with sodium valproate medicines if taken during pregnancy. Each of the videos highlights key points in relation to the management of the issue from a different perspective − that of the patient, the hospital doctor, the specialist (neurologist or psychiatrist), and the GP, respectively. These videos were released during National Epilepsy Week which aims to raise awareness Epilim (Sodium Valproate) in pregnancy.