The Latest News from OACS Ireland
NOTEWORTHY – Valproate scandal: Parents feel failed by State over drug that harmed their children. Noteworthy finds that pleas for help from women impacted by valproate (Epilim) continue to be dismissed. BY MARIA DELANEY APRIL 16TH, 2021 19 MIN READ.…More . . .
OACS Ireland have been overwhelmed by concerned members at the revelations in resent Prime Time Pogramme. As a Charity who represent a vulnerable group, trust and confidentiality should be at the center for the care and welfare of these individuals.…More . . .
OACS Ireland would like to thank all patients groups, Health Care Professional (HCP) involved, who have worked with the MHRA for many years on the Valproate Stakeholder Group. The New UK guidelines produced by the Royal College of Obstetricians and…More . . .
OACS Ireland are incredibly pleased to inform our members, volunteers, and supporters that we have been allocated €2000 under the “RTÉ Does Comic Relief” fund. RTÉ does Comic Relief was established in response to the fundraising crisis which non-profit organisations…More . . .
*The active substance is the main ingredient contained in every medicine. For example, the active substance in Epilim is sodium valproate. The active substance in every medicine is listed on the outer packaging and in the package leaflet (PL), usually…More . . .
Minister for Health to establish inquiry into historical licensing & use of Sodium Valproate in pregnancy.
OACS Ireland and Epilepsy Ireland have welcomed today’s announcement by Minister Stephen Donnelly that he will establish an inquiry into the historical licensing and use of Sodium Valproate (Epilim) in pregnancy. The Minister outlined his commitment to both patient organisations at a…More . . .
We have accepted this invitation with Dr. Colm Henry and welcome the opportunity to discuss the many issues which are facing families impacted by Epilim (sodium valproate). We will ask him to confirm that supports are put in place to…More . . .
The One Millionth Yellow Card report and #MedSafetyWeek – every report counts – November 2 – 8 campaign has launched today. The MHRA would like to take this opportunity to ask you to please support the campaign. The aim is to raise awareness and…More . . .
Downloads & Resources
Links to Website Resources
- OACS Facebook Group
- OACS YouTube Channel
- OACS UK Charity
- Epilepsy Ireland
- Irish Epilepsy and Pregnancy Register
- Irish Family Planning Association
- Birth Control (HSE Website)
- Valproate (Epilim) Patient Booklet (HPRA)
- EMA – Information & reviews on Valproate
- Valproate Information(HSE Website)
- Meeting highlights from PRAC
- OACS Ireland Leaflet
- National Conference on the Consequences of Sodium Valproate
- Joint Committee on Health Report on Foetal Anti-Convulsant Syndrome
- Valproate (Epilim) is a medicine licensed in Ireland to treat epilepsy and bipolar disorder
- 2019 Neurology Referral Specialist
- HSE Report on prenatal exposure
- 2018 Sodium Valproate who knew what and when
- 2019 Videos from the National Conference on Sodium Valproate
- 2018 FACS Forum welcomes HSE’s plans to contact patients directly regarding Sodium Valproate
- 2019 Study identifies the risk of malformations associated with prenatal exposure to 10 epilepsy drugs
Videos / Media
OACS Ireland: The Story So Far
Public Hearing on Valproate
Epilim (Sodium Valproate): For Patients*
Epilim (Sodium Valproate): For Hospital Doctors*
Epilim (Sodium Valproate): For Neurologists & Psychiatrists*
Epilim (Sodium Valproate): For GPs*
*The Medication Safety Minute Team in conjunction with Dr Colin Doherty, Epileptologist in St. James’s Hospital (SJH), have produced a series of 4 videos to highlight the risks associated with sodium valproate medicines if taken during pregnancy. Each of the videos highlights key points in relation to the management of the issue from a different perspective − that of the patient, the hospital doctor, the specialist (neurologist or psychiatrist), and the GP, respectively. These videos were released during National Epilepsy Week which aims to raise awareness Epilim (Sodium Valproate) in pregnancy.