As you may be aware OACS Ireland attended the 1st National Conference on The Consequences of Sodium Valproate in Trinity College Dublin on March 22nd 2019. This event was organised by the Health Service Executive, Epilepsy Ireland, OACS Ireland, Trinity College Dublin and the FACS Forum.
The event was attended by patients & families affected by valproate exposure, healthcare professionals and policymakers and featured experts from the UK and Ireland in addition to the experiences of families affected and updates on the Irish response to the valproate problem to date.
The conference addressed key issues:
- The pharmacology of sodium valproate
- Sodium valproate: Who knew what and when?
- Reducing the risks associated with sodium valproate
- Diagnosing and managing foetal valproate syndrome
- Living with foetal valproate syndrome and the consequences of sodium valproate
- The Irish Health Service’s response to the valproate problem
It was a well-supported packed day and hugely beneficial to our cause. You can find out more about the conference and its outcomes here: www.epilepsy.ie/content/videos-national-conference-sodium-valproate
Here is a video of Dr. Colm Henry and our own Karen Keely who spoke at the event among many others: